Thursday, January 17, 2008

Winter work on your boat?

I am told that winter is the best time to work on those boat projects that you thought about last year. Some folks own a sailboat and don't cruise or race; they love to think up new projects and spend the weekends working on their boats. I much rather sail in the summer.

My winter project is one that I don't feel that I can do myself. The engine needs new motor mounts and an alignment. I have hired the local Yanmar tech to do the work sometimes this winter. I can't imagine working on a boat in January or February. Too cold!

I got to thinking this morning as I read the newspaper stock report. I imagine the cost of having a tech replace my motor mounts would be about $450 for the four new mounts, and $700 to $1000 labor for installation and aligning the engine.

How hard can it be? All that I need to do is uncouple the shaft from the transmission and jack up the engine. After blocking the engine, remove the old mounts and install the new ones; lower the engine and align the coupling.

To verify my thoughts, I Googled key words and found the following website. Sleeping With Oars.

I guess it doesn't sound too difficult. Let's see if I can really save that labor cost.

Has anybody out the done before?

So... Do you have a winter project? Please click the "comment" link below and tell us all about it.

2 comments:

Latitude 43 said...

Ken,
I have to replace a 135 gallon water tank in the bow of my 44 footer. The previous owners turned it into a "holding tank". Guess that's why I got such a deal. Not looking forward to this job. Have not even surveyed the task yet. I'm thinking I'll be doing a lot of cutting. They make body condoms??
PB

Dry Sailor said...

I don't envy you that job Paul!

I had to change out a bladder waste bag on an old Hunter 33. Whew! That sure did stink. I replaced it with a tank from West Marine and that worked well. The only problem was the location was in the way for doing any work on the stuffing box or checking transmission fluid level.

The tank on my current 1990 Hunter 33.5 resides under a dinning settee. I had problems with the vent plugging, causing some backup in the head and very difficult flushing. Resolved that by elevating the vent hose. It had a dip in it causing water to plug the vent at the low spot.
KP