Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hurry up and wait

That used to be the motto of the US Air Force, "Hurry Up and Wait". I think the world still revolves around those words.

The repair to my boat has been going well; to a point. I had a new headstay built by the rigger at Shumway Marine. He fit the task in between a vacation and personal time off, and came up with one that looks great, and over $100 less then the Buffalo quote.

Getting in a new roller furling is another story. I thought it would be shipped within a week from Florida, but when I called yesterday to inquire, I was told that parts were on back-order. I hate those words. It seems that they always tell you what you want to hear, not what the truth really is. Anyway, they were very kind to me and offered to sell me the top of the line furling unit rather then the one I ordered, for only $120 more. The new one however, has a lifetime warranty, is heavy duty, and normally sells for $2550. My price: $1000. How could I say no?

Now that I am expecting my new furling unit sometime next week, I find that the winch used to raise my mast at the club is down for repair.

YIKES! I may not have a chance to sail the rest of the season. Of course, I am a Capricorn, and I must worry about those things... it's in my genes.

No comments: